Take me out to the ball game
"Do you have plans on Sunday," asks my supervisor who is also my high school's assistant baseball coach.
"No I do not," says I.
"Do you want to come to our baseball game."
"Yes. Where is it?"
"It is quite far away. I will pick you up Sunday at 7:30 in the morning. Do you have a glove?"
"No."
"Ok then. Here is a number to put on your back. I will see you Sunday morning."
After reading the above conversation, what do you think will I be doing on Sunday morning? Select from the choices below:
A) You will be going to watch a high school baseball game and
perhaps throwing some balls around with the students.
B) You will be going to a high school baseball game and acting as
the 1st base coach.
C) Other____________
If you answered a, as did I, you would be completely, utterly mistaken.
If you answered b, you would be equally as wrong.
However, if you answered c and filled the blank in with the sentence, "You will be going to and playing in an all-day baseball tournament for teachers, many of whom played baseball in high school and presently participate in local adult teams, and compared to whom you are completely worthless as a player so we are not exactly sure why you got invited but you did so try your best even though it will still be ugly," you would be spot on. And such was my Sunday.

In truth the games weren't that eventful. I spent a good part of my day standing in right field, strategically placed so that very few balls would come my way. Though we in fact lost our first game, we managed to finangle our way into the second round because the team we played against had lots of high schoolers on it because the team was short on teachers. Our second match was some three hours later and we won 7-4. Boo yah! (sp?). This victory of course means that I can not retire my bat and cleats for good because in a few weeks we must return to play in the championship. You can only imagine what bliss I am in.
On the bright side of this, there will be at least one drinking party to celebrate our victories on Sunday and another to generally celebrate going to the championship. So, until next time... batters up!

comments:
6:49 AM
Dear Tom (and Lee),
This will be brief as I need to head off to a meeting. I had written a longer comment, but didn't realize I had to have a google account to post ... so I had to sign up.
Hey, remember that Shaun and I are more than willing to have a long distance healing service if needed after the big game!!!!
Much love and blessings to you both for the holidays,
KRev
Post a Comment